Thursday, May 31, 2007

Passing Over


Last week, bits of Summer gate crashed into the dissipating spring and I started crashing into spider webs. Time for prey and play and mutant reproductions in the animal kingdom.

The trains are starting to pong of a day's hard work. The pollen filled air was replaced with slithering heat on my neck in the garden pub where I had lunch one afternoon. Just as well, V says the pollen fragments floating everywhere were so bad she felt like picking out her eyeballs and running them under a tap. I made my weekend walk in the park with my eyes partially closed and taking an occasional peek just in case I miss Mr. Murakami.

I imagine that a lot. Meeting Mr. Murakami in the park. I know I would recognize him immediately. The bushy brows, the stout back, the tan. He would be jogging, practicing for the yearly Boston Marathon. I would trod up to him cooling, trying to put on my least psychotic stalker face and ask him how he was doing. If I could I would invite up to my place for tea and sign my hard cover copy of ‘Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman’ and we would have a quiet chat over Yorkshire tea and then say our good byes.

C tells me that Murakami has a new book out. Surprisingly, I wasn’t very interested. I remember waiting 2 years for ‘Kafka on the Shore’ to be translated into English and was deeply disappointed when I finally finished reading it. I haven’t finished ‘Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman’ either. It is a collection of short stories and I pick it up occasionally when I feel like a change from my bedtime reads, but all in all, my fascination with Murakami books seems to have ceased. Even so, his books influenced me greatly and played a big part in my interest in his persona per se. That period of time when I read his books represent a whole era of thinking tagged onto so many youthful emotions. I still believe 'Norwegian Wood' is one of the most important love stories written in modern literature. In that sense, even though I may no longer follow his books with great interest, everything pertaining to him and his books hold a raw spot in me.

This week, rain gate crashed into the dissipating summer and I started crashing into bed without proper baths. Our hot water boiler went on strike and I would much rather smell like pong then take a bath and risk hypothermia.

We managed a delightful BBQ in the rain with a bunch of Architects trying to build a temporary shelter over the BBQ pit with a mop and army green plastic rubbish bags. It was hilarious. For the BBQ, I baked a lemon cake with double cream and am still wearing spatters of cake batter on my PJs. It’s ok to be a bit sloppy every once in a blue moon and I think this week is ok for that (no hot water is a valid excuse too).

Effectively, it rained all weekend, even on the Monday Bank Holiday. Fickle is the weather in London. I spent the holiday lying in bed, munching peaches. Sleeping and reading. I know I should start studying for my exams but it was just the right weather to drift in and out of sleep.

There was a fresh punnet of peaches on the kitchen table that I had bought from Portobello Market. And a whole bag of coriander as well. I only needed a bunch, but the lady gave me a whole box as she was winding down for the day.

I met W online (He’s going to save my pathetic little ass this year by passing me his notes to study). That rainy day, I told him about my coriander over supply and he suggested putting it in soup.

He went on to rattle off a recipe for soup to me. At the end of it, I realized that it didn’t have coriander in it. So I asked him just to make sure,

‘So when the soup is done, do I put in the coriander?’

‘.....No’

Black Crow flies pass crowing loudly.
Spaz. Moron. (W...I know you are reading this :P).



Bye bye Mr. Murakami.
Bye bye Spring.
Bye bye Rain.

Hello New Era.
Hello Summer!


On Player ‘ Make This Go On Forever’_By Snow Patrol

3 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

I see pics of your room so often but never get to chill there with bottles of wine - so busy so busy!

Have fun in SGP - any chance of bringing some love from home in the form of KEE'S chicken rice paste to compensate?

7:15 pm  
Blogger Adrian said...

I didn't say it the last time but I really liked 'picking my eyeballs out and running them under the tap'.

And if copying is the sincerest form of flattery, then you can tell V that I've already bandied it about at least twice.

7:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have you read Haruki Murakami's memoir on running? I recently finished it and was incredibly impressed with the accounts of his self-imposed exile into a slender solitude, his rigorous running regime, and the physical and mental endurance he cultivates to continue, and to evolve, as a writer.

5:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home