Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mindlessness

There was a scream in the dead of the night. My house guest has been making noises in the night. From baby gurgle noises to talking and every time I ask him if he is ok, I am greeted by a silence that makes me feel like a complete idiot. He is in another world being fed grapes by his harem and I am still right here. He tells me the next morning that he had a dream of a voluptuous nymph who thought he was staring at her assets so she came right over to box him over the ears and he let out a scream.

I am like the wuss of a princess from the story, The Princess and the Pea. I am a hopelessly light sleeper. Every rustle that my house guest makes in the sleeping bag, I wake up and flip in my bed. Obviously I haven’t been getting much sleep but that should be over by tomorrow night.

Me and house guest take a walk to the park with me yawning all the way there. There is a soft fog like flat mate HL said there would be. The tone of the grass and trees in the park appear slightly more muted then usual, either from the fog or the changing tones of autumn but beautiful none the less. The birds are chirping and dogs chasing their balls. I tell house guest that I would like to jog alone. When we reach the park, we take separate routes. I start my sprint in the usual direction. My left knee protests but I start to run faster till my ribcage aches and the familiar pain of stitches resides at my sides. The pain wakes me up and I run the week’s events over in my head.

There are some weeks that just go right by and there are some weeks that drag their feet. It has been a bit of both this week. There are problems at work and the month ahead looks like a tough one, but work is something I have chosen to speak very little about until I can run it over and over in my head, give it some time to process before giving an objective account of if I finally wish to. Friday was gorgeous, there was some chaos and confusion at work, but the morning started well.



When I got off the bus, the sun was shinning onto me and the breeze whispering to me. I close my eyes for a split second and take a deep breath to let that feeling linger a little longer. It reminded me of the night of the Mid Autumn Festival Celebration at A+M’s house. I love that feeling of peace. Like my soul is doing a bit of r+r. At lunch, I sat outside the office with my tea and sandwich, marveling at the fact that I managed to consume a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich 4 days in a row without gagging on my fifth one this week as I took it out of my lunch box. Very little gets to you as long as there is sun in London. V shares some of her chocolate digestives with me and that adds to my little pleasure. I was wearing converse sneakers with pink socks again and I didn’t care.



Today, I decided to be mindless and give my soul some more tlc that it needs. The painful knee aside, the rest of the day was filled with a big breakfast at Notting Hill, intermediate stops at the quaint bookshops in the area before a walk though Portobello Market with house guest. I bought apple scented aromatherapy oil from a shop and a whole bunch of fresh peaches from the farmers. I love that they put the peaches into plain brown paper bags and not plastic bags. There is just something sinister about fresh fruits and plastic bags. I love the smell of peaches and it was my favourite fruit of my childhood where it was still readily available to me in Australia before I moved back home. The smell of childhood always brings back a warm fuzzing feeling.

The last few stops included more bookshops and shopping. Couldn’t decide between Neil Gaiman’s Stardust and Nicole Krauss’s The History of Love. Was detracted momentarily by Haruki Murakami’s Norwegian Wood which I have already read but the new cover of a weeping butterfly was too potent to ignore. If I had the money, I would have bought every single cover available of every Murakami book. What’s more, for me, Norwegian Wood is the quintessential love story of the last decade. A really good book is like good music, each sentence is like a tune that sings to you and you can read it over and over and when you do, it still manages to make you smile, laugh or cry.

I just realized that I used the word ‘Love’ as a verb 3 times in this entry. It wasn’t a bad week after all. The fresh scent of apples is drifting through my room as I get ready for bed. House guest is already sound asleep and this time I am well prepared with ear plugs. Be banished oh nymph!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home